You Are All Knowledgeable Experts with Worthwhile Things To Say

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kevin, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

A few people have recently asked why lurkers don't sign up and participate in the forums. So I thought I'd ask directly and posted this question to them directly on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/blackbeltforums/posts/318016558304315

The general consensus was:

• Everyone in the forum is knowledgeable and they're not.
    • They don't feel like they can contribute anything.
    • They're not training much any more.
    Think we should all ourselves a big pat on the back. We're all officially experts and everything we say is worthwhile :)
    Kev

3. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

We had a "definition" in the military for expert: "Someone who knows more and more about less and less."

I think I speak for just about everyone here and refuse that title in ANY way...

Bonnell74, SifuPhil, Dave76 and 4 others like this.
  4. chris halkett

chris halkett Warrior Monk

Well i definatly dont concider myself an expert or even an experienced practiconer just a novice and iv always been made to feel welcome and had my questions and opinions treated with respect and common curtusy so to all my fellow newbies i say join in its all fun in here

5. Rockne Helms

Rockne Helms Disciple

We are all travelers on a convoluted path whether we are beginning, have taken 1 step or a 1000. No one has all the answers but we all have questions that someone else just might have an answer to.

DeeD, SifuPhil and arron butler like this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You know Kevin, one of the great things about new students (those with MA/combat sport experience and total neophytes) is that they ask questions about things that I may be taking for granted, whether it's very basic or advanced. That and a new perspective can have me thinking about something from a different viewpoint. So even the least experienced of the lurkers could ask a question or make a statement that would be an excellent discussion topic unto itself.
    Anyone can have a "duh" moment, but what's great about this forum is that we don't actively look to crucify anyone for the slightest misstep (unless they have a totally outlandish claim that they are unable to back up with something more than just "I believe it's true.")

Bonnell74, Sherratt, SifuPhil and 5 others like this.
  7. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

I don't like being called an expert. When you consider that many words are made up of a combination of "root" words we can learn the true meaning of the word. Take the word expert for instance. It can be broken down into two phonetic sounds. The first I am sure you all have had experience with, the word "ex" as in my ex came round today to pay/collect child support. Generally we consider the "ex" to be a has been. The next so called root word sounds like spurt. Put it quite simply, a spurt is simply a drip of liquid under pressure (minds above the belts please people).

So by combining those two "root" words together to make the word expert we can deduce that anyone who calls themselves an "expert" is nothing more than a Has been drip under pressure!

That is enough lessons for today children.
    By Locutus
    (Expert Language Analyser)

8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

:LOL:That is some of the best pseudo-etymology I've ever seen! Well done!!(y)

Bonnell74 and Locutus like this.
  9. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

I agree with you on this, it has been a long time since I have trained in martial arts due to a motorcycle accident I had sometime ago however I am starting to look into taking up Wing Chun hopefully next year.

However my lack of experience in comparison to the members on this forum has not and will not put me off due to the fact of how friendly and down to earth everyone is on here (with the exception of BSC but apparently he is banned).

Sorry on a different note has Deborah posted on here recently as I read somewhere that someone had threatened her?

Or something to that effect.

10. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

We need Deb back on this forum.She was such a laugh, and had a great sense of humour.Whoever threatened her should be ashamed of themselves and hopefully been dealt with by now.So if anyone can contact her,please do so.She is much missed on here.This ma site is just brilliant,and i would like to thank Kev for making it happen.And i'm no expert,even after 24 years of training.Always something more to learn,and be still learning until i die.Peace and respect to you everyone.

Bonnell74, Sherratt, SifuPhil and 4 others like this.
  11. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

I would like to echo what Arron Butler just said. I don't know her per say but I really enjoyed reading her posts and her bubbly personality was brilliant.

If any one can get in touch with her please do.

Bonnell74 and Sherratt like this.
  12. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

That's an old joke about people pursuing their Ph.D.

13. Enkidu

Exactly, and any cute MA chick who is into other chicks is ALWAYS welcome here!

Bonnell74, SifuPhil, Dave76 and 3 others like this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

That's what I was trying to convey to all the lurkers. (1) That you don't have to be an expert here, and, (2) Experts can learn a lot from beginners asking questions etc.

15. Enkidu

Great point! One of my BJJ instructors used to encourage white belts to ask a TON of questions no matter how stupid they sounded because many times new ideas came out of white belts asking questions because they had no preconceived notions.

Dave76, Judah and RJ Clark like this.
  16. Hip Hop Senpai

Hip Hop Senpai Initiate

I was and am one of those lurkers. My reason being even though I have a great interest in martial arts I have never had the opportunity to officially train under someone due to various circumstances such as where I live not having any schools around or they are simply McDojo's and I feel that training in a place like that can do more harm than good. Because of these reasons I have chosen to remain silent as I don't feel I have anything to contribute yet. I just try to keep my mind clear and free from preconceptions while absorbing what I can until I can actually formally train. That being said I love this forum and have learned a lot from you all. Philosophy, breakdowns of technique and much more. This has become one of my favorite little corners of the web and I thank you all for what you do here. And yes thanks Kev for making this all happen.

Bonnell74, SifuPhil, Dave76 and 2 others like this.
  17. Enkidu

What sort of MA training is of interest to you? Do you have any friends who are similarly interested in the same type of MA training you are? An AMAZING amount can be learned from books, videos on youtube, discussion forums like this, etc., particularly if you have dedicated training partners. I've met plenty of people who threw down a mat, got some friends, bought some BJJ books and videos, and just started training with their friends.

Is it ideal? No. But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Sherratt and Hip Hop Senpai like this.
  18. Hip Hop Senpai

Hip Hop Senpai Initiate

That is actually the method I have been employing. I have been reading every book I can get my hands on and been finding vids as well. I just recently had the thought... 'Who trained the first masters?' They had no one but themselves, their friends and access to knowledge. None of my friends are really into MA all scared of the work and possible pain I think. Been trying to get my brother interested. As for what arts.. I am interested in a few such as Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido, just need to find the one that is the best fit for me and start training along with my workouts. And thanks Enkidu saying you have known plenty of people who just bought a mat and got busy is the push I needed, just didn't know how seriously I would be taken if I said I wanted to train myself as it's my only option at the moment.

Bonnell74 and Enkidu like this.
  19. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Have not watched it...Martial Arts teachings on Youtube.

I just read a great saying from a Japanese master in the 1800s about beginners and the importance of their ignorance....But I can't remember it!

Hip Hop Senpai and arron butler like this.
  20. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

Too true Kev. Beginners are on the same MA journey as the experienced MA practitioner has done, and it's this brilliant site with the experienced MA practitioners on this site that are glad to help anyone interested in MA. Did i explain that clear enough.lol:)

Bonnell74 and Hip Hop Senpai like this.
  21. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog