Your Favorite Range

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Adam Crawshaw, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Adam Crawshaw

Adam Crawshaw The Ripper

Just a quick question to any boxers out there what is your comfort zone. For instance i like to charge forward and be so close i am pretty much touching my opponent and throwing short sharp powerful shots (inside fighting). What is your. Also any tips or strategies on what to add or change to this style to make it useful to mma are welcome Thanks :)

3. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I have preferred kicking range for about 20 years, and now am working only in boxing range, no retreat or rest, just staying in pocket with very few kicks.

Are you using boxing, or just more like streetfighting inside? If you are wanting to be in close in MMA, you really need to have a good clinch or good clinch defense. I love me some dirty boxing! Charging in and striking is pretty effective, if you intend on using that when fighting you will need a strong chin! If you have strong boxing defense you could do well in that range, though.

Judah likes this.
  4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

For boxing I prefer to stay on the outside. Jab and cross range. I gind that range kinda redundant whdn kicks are involved, a kick to the body is more powerful and has greater range than a jab so I use that instead then come in close to use my hands. I've never done mma so I couldn't really suggest anything to help improve your style there but it does occur to me that at that range an opponent would be more likely to attempt a take down so it'd be a good idea to get a solid wrestling base just in case that happens. ;)

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  5. Adam Crawshaw

Adam Crawshaw The Ripper

I use more of a boxing than streetfighting inside style alot of weaving rolling and my Favorite... hooks :) and i have a not to bad chin i usually switch to peek a boo when charging. Although i have noticed my footwork is not very agile and people can escape rather easily so not much damage can be done

as for clinch range i have just started judo so that should help plus i have a good sprawl i think lol

6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I like to fight in a phone booth, and often from the clinch in a "dirty boxing" style.

7. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

So you're neither Batman NOR Spiderman ... you're SUPERMAN! :eek:

8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You're not really in boxing range if you need to "charge" in. So of course if you're covering up using a peekaboo or modified peekaboo guard to rush in from an outside range opponents can easily slip away. One way or the other you need to be throwing strikes to set up anything you want to implement. Even if you're simply using your jab (varying the timing/cadence and type of jab) it will make it much harder for your opponent to disengage and will bring you into your preferred range.
    Now to make it more effective for MMA you're going to need to stay busier offensively and combine the striking with your Judo, in particular grip fighting, clinch work, and unbalancing (not necessarily with the intent to throw). Because of the grappling element you don't get to camp out and bob & weave on the inside for MMA. It works to a lesser or greater extent in boxing because of the rule set used. However, even in boxing bobbing & weaving isn't nearly as effective as simple long and short rhythm head movement. The bob & weave is more for showboating or a survival-mode maneuver when you can't get a hold of a guy to tie him up. Also, don't mistake rolling the shoulders and effectively covering up against strikes and such while in the pocket as bobbing & weaving per se. The intent there is to make him miss or not land effectively and set you up to counter strike.

9. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

When I first read this I thought to myself favorite gun range, lol. Been doing a lot of firearms training lately. I prefer getting in close and getting in clinch range. Throw in elbows, knees and and a judo throw.

Enkidu likes this.
  10. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Superman changes in phone booths he doesn't fight in them....

And FYI it's Spider-Man... If you spent less time doing martial arts and more time reading comic books this wouldn't happen ;)

11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Good for actual fighting but elbows aren't allowed in MMA as far as I'm aware and judo throws aren't alliwed in muay thai so it won't help the OP much.

As for guns... anything within 400m for me. I've never managed to hit anything outside of that. But then I live in a country where only criminals use guns, regular citizens have to call the police :(

12. Eric Dufurrena

Elbows are allowed in MMA.

DeeD likes this.
  13. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

i prefer outside generally but when close enough to clinch I do with elbows, boxing only , i prefer to be close and dirty boxing and uppercuts are my fav

14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

[e="Eric Dufurrena, post: 26230, member: 2436"]Elbows are allowed in MMA.[/quote]

Alright Mr Smartypants but downward (12-6) trajectory elbows aren't permitted :p

15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Alright Mr Smartypants but downward (12-6) trajectory elbows aren't permitted :p[/quote]
    pfft those are my fav:eek: :cautious:

16. Enkidu

The story about how they became illegal is pretty interesting. It comes from a commissioner who knew nothing about martial arts seeing board breaking on ESPN 8 (the "OCHO") and deciding they were too dangerous.

Caneman likes this.
  17. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I always thought that was a bit of a urban legend, its ridiculous

18. Enkidu

I have it from a pretty decent source (no less than UFC referee Herb Dean) that this is really what happened.

19. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Haha ofcourse u do, how am i supposed to argue with that ;)

20. Enkidu

We used to be pretty tight back in the day and still talk occasionally.

[​IMG]

DeeD likes this.
  21. Eric Dufurrena

I heard the same thing. If you think about it, they really aren't any more or less dangerous than a forearm/elbow strike from the mount. I have wondered if they would ever re-evaluate that rule, but I doubt it.