Your Favorite Range

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Adam Crawshaw, Apr 19, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

thats cool :) what was the occasion, all the cigars :cool:

Enkidu likes this.
  2. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

agreed, i use the top down elbows a lot by grabbing the head with my left hand and hitting with the right elbow but get more velocity with the diagonal elbow so not sure why the one is banned and not the other from a practical point of view

3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

We were at a Gypsy Kings concert. There was much debauchery that evening. The drinks were in the back of Frank's car (third from the left) which is why the trunk is open. We made the drinks in the hood of my Jeep. We met up with a a half dozen girls there, and yes, every one of those girls eventually ended up with one of us.

BTW, for those who remember the story of my MMA fighter friend who got KO'd by Bas Rutten in training and woke up asking Herb Dean if they were going to get some pancakes, that is the dude in red in the middle.

If anyone remembers the story of a friend of mine who blacked out in a huge melee in bar and did some Jet Li like shit and had no memory of it, that is the dude on the far right.

Ahhhh... the good old days...

MattCMMA, Locutus and DeeD like this.
  4. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha Bas is a beast, sounds like u guys have some good stories to tell (y)

5. Enkidu

Yeah, there are quite a few. But now that I am married with an almost one-year-old, it seems like a million years ago...

DeeD and RJ Clark like this.
  6. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

I've been training in martial arts/boxing for 30 plus years and hold to black belts. But the words of my first instructor rings out to this question. No mater how good you are with your hands and feet, when possible use a baseball bat. So baseball bat is my preferred range.

7. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

My favorite zone is 200-300 yards. :dead: Oh, sorry, you said "boxers".

8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Now that my son is a three-year old little man I'm cycling back into more and more combat sports & martial arts training/instructing. Unfocusing on that for a little while was a good thing as I was almost too dialed into it. Everything feels fresh and I have a new perspective on it all. So enjoy your Daddy-time! As most people say, time flies and three years went by in the blink of an eye...

DeeD and Enkidu like this.
  9. Enkidu

Yeah, while my priorities and time commitments have definitely shifted quite a bit from my pre-dad days, I don't begrudge the little man a second of my time.

Sabomnim Dan, Aaron, RJ Clark and 2 others like this.
  10. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

being a dad is the best feeling in the world :)

Sabomnim Dan, RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  11. Enkidu

It really is. As a former dedicated bachelor, I am somewhat amazed at how differently I see the world now.

Caneman, Aaron, DeeD and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gone

Gone Guest

I haven't been in enough fights to have a favourite range. Lucky you men who have this valuable experience.

Generally, I have far superior reach to alot of other people so they can just keep eating push kicks and straights all day as far as I care. And if they get in close, well, I'll just underhook throw/slam them or whatever and repeat this tactic as needed, ya know.

13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Yours obviously haven't hit puberty yet:grumpy:

Locutus likes this.
  14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

hahaha no he's a toddler

15. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Depending on how tall my opponent is and how long is his arm.
    Since we are talking about boxers (boxing) I am not considering the length of the legs.

Shortish arm - long distance
    Longish arm - kissing distance
    Medium arm - out in out approach

16. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Not that you should modify too much based on their body type unless there is something distinctively outside the norm. But overall a person's "reach" (off the shoulder measure) doesn't affect boxing ability per se, it's still their fundamental footwork that brings them in and out and determines their effectiveness. If you want to call boxing on having at least one ridiculous "traditional" ritual it's the near-pointless "reach" measure of boxers. It also may seem counter-intuitive, but the length of their legs actually have more affect on punch delivery/the manner in which they throw their punches than the length of their arms unless they have Tyrannosaurus Rex-like arms or total knuckle-draggers. Next time you're sparring with a boxer flip your perception from arms to observing the affect their legs have on their boxing (as much as possible anyway;))

Dave76, Vldz, Judah and 2 others like this.
  17. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

'Reach' really only matters when it is ridiculous. Other times, when reach seems to be the issue, it is also a combination of their height and leg length. At the top 1% of boxing, the elite, reach adds a bit, too, but only because their boxing is good enough to take full advantage of it.

Vldz, Judah and RJ Clark like this.
  18. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Thanks.

RJ Clark likes this.