Your Life Is Your Dojo

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Nutrition' started by RJ Clark, Feb 13, 2014.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I've posted many times about using work and your daily routines as opportunities to train. One of my fav sayings is "Use the mundane as a chance train" Due all this lovely snow I've been running takedown drills integrated into shoveling snow: penetration step variations, single & double leg catches & grips, cutting the corner, running the pipe, etc. You don't "need" to go to the gym or dojo to get a good training session in if you're creative.(y)

In a story I can tenuously link to the above, a young buck "had to" quit his physically demanding job because he was too exhausted to train after work o_O. In his most recent fight (mma) he then gassed out in the first and was finished by his opponent in the second. Being a gym rat or dojo mole isn't everything. What you do outside your training halls can be just as important or pay even greater dividends...

3. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Well said! Been doing the same along with traditional stance training. And LOTS of balance drills.
    My neighbors think I'm just insane. :wacky:

RJ Clark likes this.
  4. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

We don't get snow, just plenty rain and flooding in the uk (fortunately as yet I just have a soggy garden). Thanks to some high winds and a nature in generall I now have a 15ft long piece of tree in my garden (carried it home from a field earlier today after I'd gone to pick up a spade, fork and rake to sort my mess of a garden out). Always wanted to make my own striking post, carrying my garden tools and some inspiration I decided to thank nature and carry the big stick home.

Gonna enjoy some heavy digging/turning/raking over the next few days or so in harsh weather and see if I can turn this big chuck of wood into something useful. Hell I might just start collecting wood and build a garden gym!

Relating back to the thread though, I've found gardening/landscaping to be a fantastic workout for the entire body. It can be mundane work but it really does tax all the body, especially those little supporting muscles that don't normally get worked in a gym.

RJ Clark likes this.
  5. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Dig-the-hole, Daniel-san! Dig-the-hole!

Void_Karateka likes this.
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

7. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

This will be me tomorrow!

Master of Nothing likes this.