Your Taekwondo instructor

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by angie828, Jun 7, 2012.

1. angie828

angie828 Disciple

Is your TKD instructor really strict? I know that mine is and I respect her for being that way. Outside of class she is a really nice person. But once class starts she is all business. For example if you test for a TKD belt, and testing is usually 4+ hours long, and you throw up from the hard work, you are done. Or if you cry during the test, you fail. I am not sure if this is how other instructors do it, but I would be interested in hearing if other instructors are that strict. I see nothing wrong with this, and did not know if it was a universal thing or not.

3. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Are you sure you are not testing for the NAVY SEALS.

4. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

What on earth happens in those 4 hours? I thought our gradings were bad at just over two. Our instructor would be very strict too, which is good because you daren't show up with a half arsed approach. It's also good for the kids. Unfortunately the area of my dojo means it's the only discipline they get outside school. Some parents use karate as cheap babysitting.

Aaron, Mario Paul and Deborah like this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya Angie....It really depends on the individual instuctor I think. One of my first instructors was very tough too. He would fail you for being sick and you best not cry neither - He hated that!! He was origionally from mititary background which made him sooooooooooooo strick, we all feared him!! Not many females lasted longer than a couple of months, guys too for that matter!! But I found the fear turned to respect, as time went on. I sometimes think this method of being an instructor can cause problems.......But all round I think it works. So few have little respect for anything, take for example....if my Guro or other instructors are talking, you must stop and listen, no matter what you are doing. When this happens in my gym you are made do 50 press-ups without stopping, if you stop you must go back to the beginning and start again. As for your question I don't think your instuctor has been too strict, in my opinion it all builds character! I know it made me more respectful and work harder,:p but it is only one view.......I look forward to hearing everyone elses view. Congrats for such a good question Angie my new friend;)XXxxXXxxXX

arron butler and Mario Paul like this.
  6. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Unfortunately CB, this cheap baby sitting thing happens every where. I have coached kids at various sports, (cricket, swimming, Australian rules), and with exception of maybe 2 parents at each training session I was on my own.

During my formative years the strictest coach I had was my swimming coach. You dare not show up late for fear of doing a nasty 1500 mtr butterfly for your warm up. Having a strict coach or mentor builds character, focus, discipline. Unfortunately some take it to the extreme and are plain nasty.

Aaron, Kevin and Deborah like this.
  7. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

4 hours????!!!! Is that 4 hours each student or 4 hours group testing.... I know at our dojo if we did a 4 hour long test each,
    we wouldn't have any Uke's(training partners) left, there wrists would be destroyed, backs sore from constant break falls, not to mention our minds completely messed up and body left exhausted, hell I don't think I spent that much time writing any of my university/college exams. 4 hours is some test I hope that's for above black belt.

As to be too strict, no.

Really, just curious what do you do in a 4 hour test?

8. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

i started out with bujinkai karate,and my sensei at the time was very strict.from 8th kyu ie:white belt beginner,we were doing push ups on our knuckles.which hurt when its your first time.then we were in kiba dachi:horse stance for 15 mins,and an instructor came up,and whacked our thighs with a cane.but after the training sessions,i asked for any advice from him,he turned out to be a very nice guy.at a grading or test,we had to spare at least 4 dan grades at 3 mins each after a hard basics, kata,and combinations,test.so i think its good to be strict.its all part of training,and being a good martial artist.so,take the pain.its all good.loool

Sneaker and Deborah like this.
  9. angie828

angie828 Disciple

It is a 4 hour long group test. Anyone who is in TKD can come for the test. You start out warming up as a group, and then the ones testing for the belt will do forms. If someone messes up, the whole group is punished by doing 100 jumping jacks. then there is sparring as well, and board breaking, etc. It is extremely hard work.

10. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Ok, 4 hours if it is a far sized group and is understandable, 4 hours each would be a nightmare.:confused:

11. arron butler

4 hours does seem along time.

12. arron butler

were you made to do press ups on one hand using 1 finger and your thumb.thats harsh.lol. but our students didn't suffer through someone elses mistakes.now that would be harsh.lol

Deborah likes this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ooooft, my gym punished everyone too when you made a mistake or didn't listen!!:eek:....respects Aaron XxXxX

14. arron butler

more like the british sas..i think.lol

15. angie828

angie828 Disciple

No but at times the instructor makes everyone do pushups if someone messes up. Just regular pushups thank goodness.

16. Joe

Joe Disciple

I remember doing that :) Except we never just got push ups... We had leg raises, prone hold, sit ups, and crunches.. When it was being to loud >.<
    That really sucked, especially during the school breaks, where there was only one class. The children made it a nightmare, but it was great for your fitness. when a tournament came up at least lol. But seriously, what the [profanity] do you do in a 4hour grading!? The longest one that I have been to went for was just over 3 hours, and it had 3 clubs grading and a black belts..

Deborah likes this.
  17. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Everyone has a different idea of strict. The first style I ever tried was Karate at the local Police Youth Club and the head instructor was the senior cop, so yes he was strict when it came to listening and doing what was asked, but he was patient with it. When I started Kung Fu, My Sifu made sure it was fun, but he pushed SELF-DISCIPLINE, especially when it came to people mis-using what he taught. Saw him throw a few people out of the club for that. In the end it comes down to the instructors character I think and they all teach the way that works for them.

18. angie828

angie828 Disciple

Yeah I can see how the children would make it hell on you. I do not know about you but our children mess up all the time. Not their fault it is just them being children.

19. Joe

Joe Disciple

Exactly, kids will be kids. Not much you can do about it, just makes you fitter :p

20. angie828

angie828 Disciple

That is for sure. The kids in our class mess up and it is aggrivating to have to do extra pushups or jumping jacks. Yet at the same time it is making all of us stronger and better so it is all worth it.

21. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

First of all, let me start by answering the question. "Is your TKD instuctor really strict?" Yes, he's very strict in that you must arrive to class on time and do what's expected of you! There's no room for fooling around in school! I'm a military man myself, police officer, Master Instructor in TKD and there have been times people think I'm hard but, they will agree that I'm fair! I'm a strong supporter of discipline in and out of class but, there are times to have fun and be less serious about things. Remember in the Karate Kid movie when Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-son went into the Cobra-Kai dojo, you saw the attitude of the students and instructor! Most people want to learn a martial art but not go to BOOT CAMP! Discipline is good and if you teach discipline without violence or going overboard with it, you will have a very well mannered student and human being. Use discipline when you need it, not to punish someone for a simple mistake during a class or at the test! Master Fahy

Shoop, Ivor Godley, Tooley and 2 others like this.