Your Taekwondo instructor

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by angie828, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

well said Master Fahy, certainly not too strict, in many cases lessons are the only time the student gets discipline.
    as for the test time being 4 hours Angie, i've had gradings of 20 mins, 1 hour, my 1st dan was 2.5 hrs, 2nd 1hr, 3rd dan was 6.5hrs including pregrade lesson, and yes i was in there for the entire time and had a 120 mile drive home after! i think it depends on the examiner.

2. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

Sounds just like the gradings i had.Made our way to Manchester from kent for 3rd dan back in 98 and spent the whole day there from about 9.00 am til about 8.30 pm.And then we got driven back to kent. LOL

Ivor Godley likes this.
  3. Aidan84

Aidan84 Initiate

And I thought I was unlucky with 2 hour gradings. As for the crying, that's definitely a no no, but you are allowed to walk it off, if you get caught with a rogue kick to the nuts, and you don't loose points if your eyes water either! ;-)

4. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

This made me smile. I used to be pretty extreme the first few years I started teaching. I had to be, since I was pretty young and older students needed to understand that my age was not a factor. 20+ years later, I've found a balance between being the "tyrant" and being the "nutcase". The "tyrant" teaches students to remember the purpose for training and that martial arts is something to be taken more seriously than sports. As they are not a game and that they are training in something that used to dictate the rise & fall of kingdoms. The "nutcase" teaches the student to enjoy the hardships of intense training. As with any serious workout, martial arts training can be harsh at times. The "nutcase" allows the student to appreciate those hardships of training as part of the experience of martial growth. The "tyrant" will "push" the students forward. The "nutcase" will "pull" the student to follow. This constant push & pull keep the students on their toes. As well as maintaining a smile on their face as they are put through the pain and toruture designed to take them past their limits. I've found that the push and pull of the students also allows a higher percentage of students to "grow" into martial training. Too strict in the beginning can scares potential "prodigies" before they start. Too soft in the later stages can weaken the psychological fortitute of the student, who will quit after 1st dan. Teaching the severity of the "martial" and the joy of the "art" in a constant "push & pull" method. Seems to increase the individuals' love for training, across the bellcurve of personality types.
    When testing comes, it has to be Business only. There are no excuses made for any slip in discipline or performance. This is when they must show the world their personal "pride" in their training (not ego). Meaning, its "game-face" time. Humility must be maintained when they pass or fail.

P.S.-Is she single?

Sneaker likes this.
  5. TKD_FamilyMan

TKD_FamilyMan Initiate

It is interesting to hear how different gradings can be. Our instructors are not that strict as it is a more family centered school I think, there are times when being more strict would be good but it comes and goes which is common of any learning environment. It is also really interesting to hear that you have 4 hour gradings?? what happens in that session?

6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

all my gradings since the 3rd belt grade were all 4 hrs , 4X 1 min water breaks

7. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I think she was testing to join the Spartan Hoplite.

8. Patrick Fox

Patrick Fox Initiate

I'm station in Korea and and it took 1 hour for me to get my Second Degree Black belt. But was in a school that gave belts to the students as long as they paid.

9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

interesting

10. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Id she is teaching children and she is this way .. it's over kill.

BUT .. at the same time .. if an adult student is crying there is something wrong somewhere .... this would be a hint.

11. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

That's scary.... I hate schools that do that.... Pisses me off every time I hear that schools do this type of thing.

Sneaker likes this.
  12. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, don't bother. Respect....got to give to get. You must earn what you learn. I got out of the military in 2009. Yes, I'm still very "rank and file". But yeah, we have fun.

Sneaker likes this.
  13. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Have you never seen someone awake after being choked out in a highly adrenalized state?
    You might see uncontrollable crying. Short of that kind of training... it really isn't necessary to push a student until they cry. You can generate effective training without that. All things depend on what you are trying to train them for.
    But, I am pretty sure the original reference to "making them cry" has nothing to do with that kind of training... LOL.

Sneaker likes this.
  14. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human ******* beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabtastic pieces of amphibian ****. Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair !!!

I love that movie ! ... Always making me to pick up my own ****, get over it !

It's only one hour of strictest class out of 24 hours ... You'll survive and will survive even better out on this small evil world !

15. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I wish I can join the us force ... Hard of hearing but that doesnt stop me training more karate ! :)

16. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Good crying is ok and made you thinking twice hard but "quitting" crying is not acceptable.

Get knocked down 7th, get up 8th.

17. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Beating the crap out outta of them like kids at training temple in the movie called "ninja assassin".
    That is WAY too much and the world is not THAT bad ...

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

18. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I love it what you just explained.

19. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I was suppose to pay black belt testing fee but never paid and never testing but I did my best to earn my black belt for a year without pay or testing ... sadly the grandmaster left and went back to Korean with his family ... in my heart ... I believe I am a black belt and someday I will earn it.

20. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

I don't believe that anyone should have to test for 4 hours to get any belt period! I believe that testing could take 4 hours when there are a lot of students taking the test and a lot of different belt levels to test. No single belt level takes 4 hours to test! If the school where you train gives belts away....it's not worth the money you paid for it! I'd turn around and get out of there as fast as I could...what loser's! Just go online and buy your belt if that's the case! As for being a tyrant or nutcase, I'm neither! You don't need to be a tyrant to teach anyone, nor a nutcase....as they are the extreme way to do things. A Master Instructor should be someone who educates their students, allows them to grow by setting the example for them to follow, pointing the way allowing the student to figure things out on their own sometimes, but be there with answer when they need it. A Master Instructor should be strong but not forceful, they should be compassionate but not weak! Master Fahy