Your Yard Is My Gym

Discussion in 'Strength Training' started by RJ Clark, Aug 9, 2012.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

What kind of training/exercises do you do outside the gym or dojo? And/or what's your favorites?

As part of my job, by default I get strength/explosive strength training. I try to look at it like a strongman competition for fun: Today was Atlas Stones (big rounds of firewood loaded into the truck) Fingal's Finger Flips (log flips to get them out of the backyard) and Fireman's Carry (flipping logs up on one shoulder to walk them out.)
    Also the old-school Batman-esque pulling my self up into the trees with my climbing line to piece them apart (the elder statesmen here remember Adam West walking up a skyscraper, lol).

3. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Outside of the Do jang: Kettlebells, dumbells, bench, pushups, situps, running every other night. Stretch every night.

4. Gone

Gone Guest

Stretches, bodyweight exercises, kata, jogging, and I also practice any footwork/handwork combinations I have learnt.

I would do a lot more, but being just above the poverty line doesn't give me the ability to afford elaborate training equipment and gym memberships.

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I got real creative when I had the wanderlust as a young man. I could improvise and make just about anything into equipment. One of the best sets was a steel pipe and two milk crates that I filled with firebricks for a weight-lifting circuit, then into body weight exercises, finished off with shadow-boxing. Being strapped for cash just makes the whole world your gym...

6. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Most of my training is outside the class/club/dojo (whatever you wanna call it) jogging (I don't do running I'm too bloody heavy!) heavy weight lifting 3 x per week but usually only in winter time :), skipping (jumping rope) shadow boxing, stretching, heavy bag work, speed bag work - I pretty much only go to class for sparring practice :)

RJ Clark likes this.