Youth MMA

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Caneman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

3. WonderingFist

WonderingFist Disciple of Mind

Kinda cute. Fun to watch.

I can understand why people would have issues with it, morally/ethically....'If it's raising kids to be more violent' or if it's promoting violence amongst the children...

but I'm ethically flexible, and I'm raising my hypothetical super child so he can fight anyway...so it's not like I can criticize.

4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

There was a controversy over here a year or so ago when it was reported in the news that young kids were involved in MMA cagefighting. Turned out to be merely grappling with no striking. I personally dont have anything against kids doing MMA as long as it's what THEY want not what their parents want. In my time I've seen kids at tournaments crying because they dont want to be there but their parents force them to continue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8778582/Children-filmed-in-disturbing-cage-fight.html

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Just so everyone knows, The Onion cranks out tongue-in-cheek comedic material. So that isn't a real news cast.

I'm absolutely against youth full-contact (striking) combat sports. If they are allowed to train (with an emphasis on safety) then so be it. But to compete I have to say no. When they're legally adults, they can choose. (I know that may seem to contradict my usual hard-core stance, but it doesn't really)

The recent mma 2012 deaths have all (all that I read about) been due to pre-existing conditions - which digging deeper into the story means damage taken from multiple fights in a short time span (and obviously training to a lesser extent). This is the real issue that must be addressed - fighting too much/too soon. With mma being sanctioned almost everywhere guys are thinking that they can fight as their job, but at the amateur level and lower pro levels you don't make enough money unless you're single and have no bills to pay. So they bounce from event to event and fight too often without letting their bodies heal.

I had pursued this until I found out how little you usually make even when you win (at the lower levels). So now with my son and a mortgage, vehicle payments, etc. there's no way to chase the dream with that risk vs reward gap. I credit Tito Ortiz with this: "It's not always the greatest fighters who make it. It's the guys who make the greatest sacrifices." My buddy who is a current UFC fighter got there by making those sacrifices. He had a lifestyle that would make a Spartan cringe, and still lives frugally.

WonderingFist and Enkidu like this.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

KILL JOY! :p

RJ Clark likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

hee hee! It's still a great thread. I can just picture most being caught (like I was:confused:) by the "BJJ Slapper" and missing the target on comments ;)

8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Well, since the joy has already been killed in this thread, I'll have to agree that I am against kids being involved in full-contact striking sports too early. I am beginning to have more and more problems with participation in tackle American football given the horrendous danger posed by that sport and the life long injuries suffered. It is my favorite sport, by far (even more than MMA), but the trauma suffered by youth participation in football is far too frequent and of far too high a magnitude to ignore.

RJ Clark and Caneman like this.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Agree completely. I told my 9 year old earlier this year, when he asked if he could play football... I said: "No, unless we want to go check out a flag football league. You can continue martial arts, but it will probably slowdown your advancement (which I discussed at length with him as NOT a bad thing)... and we can talk about football (American) as you enter high school, if you would still like to try it then."

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  10. Enkidu

It is gonna be tough now that I have a son, particularly since he is going to grow up with a dad who loves football, so naturally he is going to want to play. Luckily, my best friend, whom my son will also grow up with, is a former NFL football player with a litany of injuries going all the way back to high school who will help dissuade him. My attitude is that if he wants to play a rough contact sport, he can do wrestling and train Judo in the off-season. Frankly, when he is old enough, I plan to put him in two things: swimming and gymnastics. He doesn't have to stick with either, but I want him to know how to swim (that is just a safety thing to me) and learn the sort of physical skills, proprioception, and body control that no one learns better than gymnasts do, particularly at a young age.

After that, what he does (assuming his mother and I permit it) is up to him. He can be a dancer or a musician or a chess player if that is what makes him happy. But he will have a solid foundation for anything physical activities that interest him at least.

RJ Clark likes this.
  11. RJ Clark

Good stuff, mister! I'm already slipping a bit on when I was going to let my son do some training after he heard Daddy downstairs hitting the "Boom boom boom!" (heavy bag). So I do a playtime training with him because he has a great time with it (as you can see from my pic, haha!). I'm on the same page with you about the gymnastics. If he chooses football he won't be allowed to gear up and play until high school (he'll have all the fundamentals down anyway, and an advantage over many with the martial arts training he is going to have(y))

Enkidu likes this.
  12. Enkidu

My wife used to work for the Santa Monica school district. Before she was pregnant we had a discussion about what to do if we were to have a son who wanted to play football. She was shocked that I was opposed to it, given that I am huge football fan. On the other hand, my wife was very much of the opinion that you cannot control what your kids are into -- that it is up to them. Then a Santa Monica High School star football player broke his neck and is paralyzed. She came around quickly to my way of thinking.

ghost likes this.
  13. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I was a swimmer NCAA I distance free and sprint fly, Nationals a few times... The one thing it REALLY did for me... even now into my "later" 40s is flexibility (can still palm the ground cold, etc).
    The other thing is it is a totally different mindset to be individual vs. team in a sport. Both are important... set different success criteria.

RJ Clark likes this.
  14. RJ Clark

I don't really want to hit like for this (ugh!), but it's good that she changed her mind about it...